Wednesday, September 13th, 2017
now browsing by day
Posted by: Cambodian | Posted on: September 13, 2017
បន្ទាប់មក គេមករកពួកយិវ ហើយខ្ញុំមិននិយាយស្តីអ្វីទេ-
បន្ទាប់មកទៀត ពួកគេមករកខ្ញុំ – ហើយមិនមាននរណានៅសេសសល់និយាយស្តីអំពីខ្ញុំទេ។
ដំបូង ពួកគេមករកអ្នករាជានិយម ហើយខ្ញុំមិននិយាយស្តីអ្វីទេ –
បន្ទាប់មក ពួកគេមករកអ្នកការពារសិទ្ធិមនុស្ស ហើយខ្ញុំមិននិយាយស្តីអ្វីទេ-
បន្ទាប់មក ពួកគេមករកអ្នកសារពត៍មាន ហើយខ្ញុំមិននិយាយស្តីអ្វីទេ-
បន្ទាប់មកទៀត ពួកគេបានមករកខ្ញុំ – ហើយមិនមាននរណាម្នាក់និយាយស្តីអំពីខ្ញុំទេ។
You should recall Martin Niemöller who said:
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
Adapted for the Cambodian context:
First they came for the Royalists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Royalist.
Then they came for the human rights defenders, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a human rights defender.
Then they came for the journalists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a journalist.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.
(Courtesy: Prof. Dr. Ear Sophal)
Here were the “Security Regulations” of this place:
1. You must answer accordingly to my questions. Do not turn them away.
2. Do not try to hide the facts by making pretexts of this and that. You are strictly prohibited to contest me.
3. Do not be a fool for you are a chap who dares to thwart the revolution.
4. You must immediately answer my questions without wasting time to reflect.
5. Do not tell me either about your immoralities or the revolution.
6. While getting lashes or electrification you must not cry at all.
7. Do nothing. Sit still and wait for my orders. If there is no order, keep quiet. When I ask you to do something. You must do it right away without protesting.
8. Do not make pretexts about Kampuchea Krom [the Cambodian term for ethnic Cambodians living in the south of Vietnam] in order to hide your jaw of traitor.
9. If you do not follow all the above rules, you shall get many lashes of electric wire.
10. If you disobey any point of my regulations you shall get either ten lashes or five shocks of electric discharge.