Dear Esteemed Members,
I have tremendously learned from this discussion. Observing since my teen to present adulthood, the static of influencing the youth and framing on their future shape is remained intact. Hence, the current exit passage of the youth through new mean of social media shall result in a disorganized outcome.
1. Recalling my teen, i was influenced by parents, school teachers, community elders and political figures. My single mother encouraged me to work hard on school while she discouraged me from involvement with politics or social issues. Seeing with her own eyes of bitter social upheaval, she randomly warned me of don’t talk what you see, don’t say what you want, and she told to grow Ko tree and sesame plant to keep blind eyes and mute mouth with all political issues. At school, i was taught to use guns, to disassemble and assemble guns, and teachers instructed about crimes of Pol Pot, Kiev Samphan, and Ieng Sari, the teachers boasted confidently without any interruption on the political ideology of Max-Leninism in classrooms. At community, i was bullied by adults in a daily basis. Like i wrote in previous email, beside of instructing to use different tricks of zero sum game to overcome rivals, those adults repeated the phrase of “don’t teach all knowledge to your students because those students could topple you at the end”. I highly praised Premier Hun Sen through his speech played on public loud speakers about negotiations with Prince Norodom Sihanouk at the time.
2. I am remained disappointed to the popular proverb of “young bamboo shoots shall take turn from old bamboos” or “unity is power” while the mechanisms to make them happen are not designed or incentivized to design. Parenting lessons are not taught to students, to pedagogical courses, and to parents. Political system is vastly patron-clientalism in which has placed the learned and the merits-based culture at the marginalized spot. The national institution has not been established and often been ruined by the embedded cult of god-king. The present emerge of youth participation in politics is not regulated. It has been disincentivized by the institution.
3. The world and civilized states are embracing modern “growth mindset” while Cambodia is strongly seen in attaching to “fixed mindset”. When growth mindset praised someone on their efforts, accepting individual limitation, and to give up or sacrifice power as suitable time arrived, Cambodians are praising those with light skin with luxurious commodity and longed power status, or they are not been reluctant to admire their good Kamma accumulated in past life so that they could enjoy it at the present time without obstruction etc. Instead of saying “keep on trying with this work”, Cambodian teachers might say “you are very smart” to their students.
4. According to figures by international researches, Cambodia has been well off in building up fat body but paralyzing citizenship’s mind. For instance, ADB praised 7 digits of annual growth and sometime named Cambodia as “tiger” but corruption and freedom of speech which are vibrant cells of blood and mind have been gradually paralyzed and inflicted adding on to the existing traumas. Youths are believed becoming byproducts of these paralyzing and inflicting machine.
Buddha taught “all things are interconnected and inseparable (Pathiccasammudphatha)” as Nama (mind) and Rupa (body) are inseparable component of LIFE.
Overseas Absentee Voting in South East Asia by comparing between Thailand, Indonesia, and the PhiliphinesPosted by: Cambodian | Posted on: May 20, 2016
Political Paradigm of Pragmatism from the Khmer Youth part 64
This part (64), Mr. Sophan Seng analysed overseas absentee voting by comparing between Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
According to IDEA, an organization focusing on Diaspora worldwide, there are more than 300 countries have included their overseas citizens to vote their home-country elections. In the ASEAN region, the record illustrated Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Lao, have included their overseas citizens. Malaysia is believed to include overseas citizens to vote in the next election.
Qualification of Overseas Voters
Who/what may be voted
Deadline for Receipt of Ballots
|Indonesia (1.36 m est. Overseas population)||A citizen, age 17th, and a registered voter||President, Vice President, Members of Parliament for electoral district of Jakarta||Voting in PersonPostal Voting||Election day||Election day||N.A. Except for The Netherlands where turn-out was 77%|
|Pillippines (7.76 m estimate overseas population)||A citizen, age 18 and a registered voter||President, Vice President, Senators and Party-List Representatives to Congress||Voting in PersonPostal Voting||30 days for land-based voters; 60 days for seamen||Election||65.00%|
|Thailand||A citizen, age 18 on January 1 in year of election, and a registered voter||Members of Parliament||Voting in PersonPostal||Variable subject to discretion of embassy or consulate||6 days before election day||39.53% (2000)35.7%
ជាការពិតណាស់ នយោបាយអហឹង្សធម៍និងការប្រើប្រាស់បញ្ញាជាអាវុធ រមែងមិនបង្ហាញរូបភាពខ្លួនជាសាធារណៈទេ តែវាមានជាវិជ្ជមាននៅគ្រប់ស្រទាប់អ្នកស្រឡាញ់យុត្តិធម៍ បញ្ញវន្ត និងយុវជនជំនាន់ថ្មី។ ជាការបញ្ជាក់នូវបំរែបំរួលជានិច្ចនៃបរិបទនយោបាយខ្មែរ សំលែងជិត៥០ភាគរយដែលគណបក្សសង្គ្រោះជាតិមាន ត្រូវប្រើបាស់អោយបានជាប្រយោជន៏នូវគ្រប់លទ្ធភាពទាំងអស់។ ជាក់ស្តែង តំណាងរាស្រ្តត្រូវបន្តទិតៀនដើម្បីស្ថាបនាដល់ទង្វើមិនសមរម្យរបស់បក្សដឹកនាំរដ្ឋាភិបាល និងចុះជួបអ្នកគាំទ្ររបស់ខ្លួនជាប្រចាំ។ ការហៅលោកនាយករដ្ឋមន្ត្រីមកបំភ្លឺរឿងវៀតណាមជីកស្រះទឹកលើទឹកដីខ្មែរនៅឯជាយដែនក្តី ការកោះហៅរដ្ឋមន្ត្រីក្រសួងយុត្តិធម៌មកឆ្លើុយបំភ្លឺក្តី សុទ្ធសឹងជាកាតព្វកិច្ចរបស់តំណាងរាស្ត្រសំលេងភាគតិចក្នុងសភា។ សូមសិក្សាពិនិត្យអោយបានល្អិតល្អន់នូវអំណាចនិងបុព្វសិទ្ធិដែលអាចធ្វើបានរបស់តំណាងរាស្ត្រសំលេងភាគតិចទាំងអស់ ហើយត្រូវតែប្រើវា ព្រោះនេះជាការបំពេញករណីយកិច្ចក្នុងនាមជាតំណាងរាស្ត្រ ហើយពិនិត្យមើលនូវការបំពេញកាតព្វកិច្ចដែលខ្វះវិជ្ជាជីវៈរបស់មន្ត្រីគ្រប់ជាន់ថ្នាក់រួមទាំងក្រុមចៅក្រមនិងព្រះរាជអាជ្ញាផងដែរប្រសិនបើពួកគេបំពានច្បាប់ព្រោះរងសំពាធឬពោរពេញទៅដោយអគតិ៤នោះទេ។ ការព្រមាន ការដាក់ទោស ឬការដាក់វិន័យ ចំពោះមន្ត្រីរាជការណាដែលប្រព្រឹត្តល្មើសរឿងទំនាស់ផលប្រយោជន៌គឺជាវិធានចំបងគេមួយ។
Pragmatically, avihimsa (tolerance) and using wisdom to solve problems have always moved underneath the public eyes but this approach is active in all situations among justice lovers, the learned, and young generation. Ascertaining the dynamics of Cambodia politics, nearly 50% of popular votes CNRP attained must be used at the fullest. Apparently, law-makers must continue to constructively criticize inappropriate performance of the government-led party and regularly serve their voters at the constituencies. Inviting the Premier to clarify in front of the Assembly about the encroaching ditch digging of Vietnamese at the border at the Assembly and inviting minister of justice to answer those irregular activities are obligation of the minority voice representatives. Conduct deep research and study on power and prerogatives of the Minority group of representatives and use them at the fullest because this is the obligation of the representatives to audit all performance and incorrect activities of the officials in all levels including judges and prosecutors if they violated the laws and professionalism pressured by the powerful or indulged into four biases. Warning, punishing or taking disciplinary on those violated on “conflict of interest” are rudimentary.
(Photo courtesy: Sam Rainsy Facebook Page)
Political Paradigm of Pragmatism from the Khmer Youth part 63
This part (63) aired by CMN on May 01-02, 2016, Mr. Sophan Seng described on the arrest of Ny Chakria, deputy of NEC’s secretary and other 4 Adhoc’s stuffs, and the intervention of ACU on such issues.
Beside of skeptic in abusing of power and out-of-mandate activity of ACU, the detaining, arresting and jailing of Ny Chakria is another step to intimidate NEC from working independently, fearlessly and successfully.
According to Jacob Morgan, a contributor for Forbes magazine, 5 qualities of modern manager or leader are following:
- Follow from the front: he means in the past, manager or leader pushed hard or control employees or followers to ensure the success of employers or leaders, but the model is in contradictory as employers or managers or leaders must ensure that all their employees or sympathizers or followers are successful.
- Understand technology: it doesn’t mean that the managers or leaders are expertise in technology but being aware and having good understanding of latest technology development to advance their leadership, they can go along with other competitors.
- Lead by example: it has become imperative that managers or leaders have not just approved budget to ensure works well done but they must go extra miles and jump out from the comfort zone. The present collaborative and teamwork environment require managers or leaders to lead by doing the same things with employees or followers and they occasionally step beyond such traditional and routine activities.
- Embrace vulnerability: vulnerability is not being weak, slack, or failed in modern concept; thus it has been translated as creativity and courageous to take the lead when it comes to choosing a tough scenario or situation.
- Belief in sharing: managers or leaders are not just sitting atop to oversea the flows of information and activities, they must change from such hoarding information mindset to sharing the information with all employees and noting/collecting intelligence. Modern leaders rely on feedbacks, inputs, and constructive criticism from the subordinates to impact an effective decision-making.
Political Paradigm of Pragmatism from the Khmer Youth part 62
This part (62) broadcasted in April 24-25, 2016, Mr. Sophan Seng continued to articulate on the statement of HE Sik Bun Hok, president of the National Election Committee (NEC), to include migrant workers to register to vote and to vote per se in Cambodia upcoming election ie. commune election 2017 and national election 2018.
According to this announcement, it is a good news for migrant workers working domestically and internationally. Mr. President must state it clear that migrant workers in Thailand, South Korea, and many other places outside Cambodia could register and vote in their sites without interrupting to travel back to Cambodia to register as well as to vote.
Mr. Sophan Seng is appealing the President of NEC and NEC’s members to seriously articulate and implement the inclusive voters registration and to undertake the voting boots at their nearest places while working overseas. Further more, Mr. Sophan solemnly requested NEC to undertake Cambodians overseas absentee voting so that all those Cambodians overseas can actively participate in building the future of Cambodia.